Pictures (by date)
Back to UIAS Home
- 02/09/2003 - The first building session for the
5" telescope project. Twelve club members built the bases for
their telescopes from plywood parts cut by some of the officers.
- 02/16/2003 - The second building session for the
5" telescope project. People patched up imperfections
in their scope bases, cut out the hole for the central stiffener, attached
feet to their bases, and started assembling their main scope tubes.
- 02/23/2003 - The third 5" telescope building session.
This week we sanded the bases and the ground boards and assembled the pieces
prior to painting.
- 03/09/2003 - The fourth 5" telescope building session.
This week we painted the bases and attached carrying handles and the
- 04/03/2003 - The sixth 5" telescope building session.
Tonight we had an extra work session where we cut holes in the tubes
for the main aperture, then sanded and painted the tubes.
- 04/06/2003 - The seventh 5" telescope building session.
This week we cut the focuser holes, mounted the focusers, and assembled the
primary mirror cells, attaching the optics to the scope for the first time.
- 04/13/2003 - The final 5" telescope building session.
During the final session, we fully assembled all of scopes after individually
balancing each tube to determine the attachment points for the side bearings
and the carry handle. We did some rough collimation and got all of the scopes
adjusted well enough for us to view the moon rising in the east in the late
afternoon. We now await a nice clear night to go observing with the new
- 05/14/2003 - Amy Eisin's farewell dinner at Dos Reales
- 07/20/2003 - Doug and Kathryn with their newly constructed solar filters for their 5" scopes
- 09/20/2003 - Ameya's pictures from Astrofest 2003
- 09/20/2003 - John's pictures from Astrofest 2003
- 09/21/2003 - Stuart's pictures from Astrofest 2003, Quad Day, etc.
- 09/22/2003 - Pictures from the UIAS club meeting
- 09/22/2003 - Pictures of Mike Lockwood's pitch laps, tile and glass tools, and Couder masks
- 10/23/2003 - Pictures from the first mirror grinding class
- 10/27/2003 - Photographs of Focault testing a finely polished 6" mirror
- 10/30/2003 - Pictures from the second mirror grinding class
- 11/01/2003 - Mike Lockwood buliding his 16" Dobsonian telescope
- 11/03/2003 - Focault shadowgrams from UIAS 12.5" field station telescope, misc equipment and construction pictures.
- 11/06/2003 - Pictures from the third mirror grinding class
- 11/08/2003 - Some lunar eclipse pictures by Matt Dillman
- 11/20/2003 - Pictures from the fifth mirror grinding class
- 12/01/2003 - Mike Lockwood buliding his 16" Dobsonian telescope
- 12/03/2003 - Mike Lockwood's 16" Dob, and Ratnam Rama's 10" tile grinding tool
- 12/08/2003 - Several Focault shadowgrams of Ben's
commercially produced mirror and two shadowgrams of Mike's hand-polished 6"
- 12/09/2003 - Focault shadowgrams of the UIAS 12.5" mirror from the truss tube scope
- 12/24/2003 - Pictures of an 8" plate glass tool which
cracked due to thermal shock as a result of being worked on in a cold garage
while the pitch was being trimmed and channels were being cut
This document was last modified on