UIAS Observatory Open House
Every second Friday of the month we hold an observatory open house for anyone to attend. This is a great opportunity to see the night sky through our historic telescope. Read more below.
The open house on the second Friday will NOT be cancelled, however there will be a make up viewing on the third (next) Friday, in the case of extreme hot or cold temperatures or inclement weather.
More information on the Observatory Open House
Map to Observatory
What do UIAS members do?
- Train to operate the historic telescope and check out keys for over-night observing at the observatory
- Visit the UIAS Dark Site several times each year for dark-sky observing
- Annual camp-out under the stars "Star Party" at the Walnut Point State Park or Wolf Creek State Park
- Visit Parkland College's Staerkel Planetarium
- Learn about astrophotography, building your own telescope, and more at meetings
- Participate in Engineering Open House
- Participate in STEM night
Free Public Events
- Monthly observatory open houses for the C-U community
- Jim Kaler's famous free public annual talk on astronomy
- Participate in Illinois Space Day
Membership costs $10 per school year or $5 if you join during the spring semester. This is to help us fund projects and events further into the school year without having to request money later. You must be a University student or faculty to be a member.